98 Dakota auto trans. noise

From: Duane Bradley (duaneb@pop.a001.sprintmail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 26 1998 - 22:57:06 EST

My new V6 Dakota makes a noise that I believe is coming from the auto.
transmission. I would characterize the noise as a hiss or a whine. The
noise starts immediately when the truck is rolling, and shifts into
second (or higher) gear. When the truck slows and shifts down into
first, the noise immediately stops. The noise is constant, and varies
only slightly in pitch with rpm changes.

The noise is audible to anyone who rides in the truck, except for
employees of the dealership where I bought it. They are blowing me off.

Any ideas about what this noise is?