RE: RE:Safety BS

From: Craig Baltzer (cbaltzer@Anjura.COM)
Date: Sun Mar 01 1998 - 15:15:44 EST

Thats because big trucks typically use the "crumple zone" of something
else (i.e. whatever they hit), and have a lot more "stuff" in front to
absorb energy than a car (just check the overall length of a truck some
time). This is back to my prev. point about the thing with the most mass
typically wins in a crash. I've seen more than a few truck crashes where
the driver didn't "walk away" when he hit a fixed object (like a bridge
embankment). If you'd like to prove this to yourself, put an egg in a
steel box, and drop it onto a cement floor. The egg breaks. Now take a
egg, and pack it in a cardboard box surounded by foam and repeat.
Doesn't break. So, what protects better, hard "steel", or something with
crumble zones (cardboard box and foam)?

Craig