RE: Hole in stock muffler

From: Weingart, Robert F (rweingart@lucent.com)
Date: Tue Mar 03 1998 - 17:09:17 EST

Jeff-

The hole is for draining condensation. You would be amazed at the
amount of water put out by an engine/exhaust when it is warming up. A
hole that small is not considered to be a leak by the Feds.
I make it a practice to drill a tiny hole in any muffler I install.
 I have the Gibson system and I had to drill a hole in the back side
of the muffler to drain out the water. Without it, I would hear a
gurgling sound out of the tail pipe when I was idling. I do a lot of
short trips with this truck, so the exhaust sometimes does not get
that hot. I could just picture the muffler rotting out from the
inside.

Rob Weingart