Delayed introduction

From: David Brown (dbrown@mh1.mcis.uchicago.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 03 1998 - 17:28:31 EST

I've been a subscriber to this list for a couple of months now, and it's been a
great source of information! The mailing list archives being readable through
the www are great! I'll be sending my $10 soon. What a deal! Everyone is
reasonably nice to one another, sort of like the Olds list I'm a member of. Lots
of good information and discussions, with the normal periodic message threads.

So anyways, I bought my brilliant blue '96 extended cab in March of '97. It's
history goes something like this. The door build sticker says it was built in
October '95. Then it went to Centurian for chrome nerf and bed bars (and I've
since found out they are the good ones!), and was ready for retail sale again in
April '96. It sat until I came along. The 5.2L V-8 of course, especially since
it's a 4x4. And what is a 4x4 without a LSD? At around 4400 lbs, I can't imagine
a V-6, although they move pretty well. The 3.55s put the power to the pavement
pretty well!

The story I was given about all the extra '96's is that the dealer purposely
obtained a bunch of extra '96's to bump up their '97 and '98 allotment. Maybe
bs, whatever. I believe the deal I put together was decent for myself and the
dealership, thanks to www.edmunds.com. I'd recommend anyone buying or selling a
vehicle to spend some time on that site!

The sales guy was the old smoothie until I started discussing invoice price, 3%
hold back, etc, and basically held my ground. It was pretty funny watching the
whole thing take place. I was there for two hours after they closed, figuring
out all the particulars. I'm sure they still made out like bandits.

So this is my first CryCo product. GM's are the family staple. Not the 80's 50K
mile crusher fodder, but the 50's - '70's full size stuff, with GAS V-8's. I'm
an Olds guy, with 4 Oldses in my stable - '76 D88 w/256K, '77 D88 w/202K, '70
D88 w/120K, '88 Cutlass w/65K, so I guess you can say I am going to be
disappointed if my Dakota goes less than 200,000 miles with more than a water
pump repair, as long as I perform the same meticulous maintenence that got the
Oldses this far; and all can still haul ***.

So it's great that this list exists! Some pretty good discussions, with the
occasional brand bashing. Hey we bash ch*vy and f*rd on the Olds list too! I
think almost any brand can make it to 200K miles providing meticulous
maintenence is performed. Some are just built a bit better, so they can take
more abuse and go
farther.

Great to be on the list!

--