Re: Delayed introduction

From: Bruce Aaron Hefner (gt9742a@prism.gatech.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 04 1998 - 11:24:46 EST

> I've been a subscriber to this list for a couple of months now, and it's been a
> great source of information! The mailing list archives being readable through
> the www are great! I'll be sending my $10 soon. What a deal! Everyone is
> reasonably nice to one another, sort of like the Olds list I'm a member of. Lots
> of good information and discussions, with the normal periodic message threads.
>
> So anyways, I bought my brilliant blue '96 extended cab in March of '97. It's
> history goes something like this. The door build sticker says it was built in
> October '95. Then it went to Centurian for chrome nerf and bed bars (and I've
> since found out they are the good ones!), and was ready for retail sale again in
> April '96. It sat until I came along. The 5.2L V-8 of course, especially since
> it's a 4x4. And what is a 4x4 without a LSD? At around 4400 lbs, I can't imagine
> a V-6, although they move pretty well. The 3.55s put the power to the pavement
> pretty well!
>
> The story I was given about all the extra '96's is that the dealer purposely
> obtained a bunch of extra '96's to bump up their '97 and '98 allotment. Maybe
> bs, whatever. I believe the deal I put together was decent for myself and the
> dealership, thanks to www.edmunds.com. I'd recommend anyone buying or selling a
> vehicle to spend some time on that site!
>
> The sales guy was the old smoothie until I started discussing invoice price, 3%
> hold back, etc, and basically held my ground. It was pretty funny watching the
> whole thing take place. I was there for two hours after they closed, figuring
> out all the particulars. I'm sure they still made out like bandits.
>
> So this is my first CryCo product. GM's are the family staple. Not the 80's 50K
> mile crusher fodder, but the 50's - '70's full size stuff, with GAS V-8's. I'm
> an Olds guy, with 4 Oldses in my stable - '76 D88 w/256K, '77 D88 w/202K, '70
> D88 w/120K, '88 Cutlass w/65K, so I guess you can say I am going to be
> disappointed if my Dakota goes less than 200,000 miles with more than a water
> pump repair, as long as I perform the same meticulous maintenence that got the
> Oldses this far; and all can still haul ***.
>
> So it's great that this list exists! Some pretty good discussions, with the
> occasional brand bashing. Hey we bash ch*vy and f*rd on the Olds list too! I
> think almost any brand can make it to 200K miles providing meticulous
> maintenence is performed. Some are just built a bit better, so they can take
> more abuse and go
> farther.
>
> Great to be on the list!
> --
> David Brown Mailto:dbrown@mh1.mcis.uchicago.edu

Welcome to the list David, you should be able to get years of reliable
service out of your Dak, there are a few kinks in them, but overall
they're a great truck and I know of several people with over 200K who've
never had a major problem out of them....BTW, I've also always been an
Olds fan, only brand of car in my family (Well my brother had a buick, but
Buicks and Olds have exactly the same engines/trannies in them and for a
while had same body design so, you might as well call it an Olds), used to
have an '84 Olds D88 that we had from '85 to '91 without any problems,
only reason we lost it in '91 is we had a head-on collision with another
car at 60 mph (Other car turned in front of us) but it held up well in the
crash, we were all able to walk away from it, that impressed me, then we
had and 89 Olds Cutlass Sup till '95 when I hydroplaned it and totalled it
it was a great car had 100K and would still leave black streaks at
stoplights, never lost a redlight race in it, really wish I hadn't
wrecked it, oh well....

Bruce