RE: Drilling holes in aftermarket mufflers. Was: Hole in stock muffler

From: Weingart, Robert F (rweingart@lucent.com)
Date: Tue Mar 03 1998 - 23:25:26 EST

Jon-
I don't know why Gibson doesn't put a condensation drain on their
mufflers. When I let the truck idle after starting it cold, water
literally pours out of the hole. The muffler is shaped like a barrel
and I think that this design traps water in the bottom. This may not
be a problem if you get a stainless muffler, but mine is only
aluminized.

FYI:
How many people know that there is a right and wrong way to put on the
Gibson muffler? If you look into the muffler, there are baffles.
 Depending on how you install the muffler, the baffles either catch
air or allow air to pass smoothly. My muffler AND my father's muffler
had no marking on them to say which side is the inlet. I purchased my
system through Mopar. Nowhere in the instructions did it mention
which way to mount the muffler. First, I called Mopar Perf., they
had no idea which way to put it on. They could only give me a
"guess". I had to call Gibson themselves to find the answer.
Turns out that the baffles are supposed to catch the air and create a
slight bit of back pressure to aid in hp. If you reverse the muffler,
you will have a louder system and slightly less power. How slight,
they could not say. Gibson said that there should have been a sticker
on the muffler stating inlet.

Were my two experiences a fluke or did others find the same thing? I
got mine a long time ago (early '96) and I wonder if they fixed this
problem.

Thanks,
Rob Weingart