Re: codes

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 04 1998 - 03:26:18 EST

At 11:59 PM 3/3/98 -0800, George Brian Ritchie wrote:
><I just recently received the check engine light on my 1994 V8 auto CC. When
><this happened I pulled over shut engine off and grabbed the manual. It told
><me to contact the dealer. I then started the engine and no more light. So I
><continued on my way for 3 days I have not receive that message again. Today
><I tried that flipping the ignition switch on off on off on to see what code
><came up. I think I got 33, 25, 5 or 33, 25, 55 (had to many interruptions)
><could someone tell me what this tells me? Thanks.
><GV
>Howdy,
> Please excuse my ignorance. But how do I pull the codes from the
>computer using the ignition (step by step would be great). also I belive my
>truck has ABS but I am not sure. Is there an easy way to tell. I think
>awhile back I saw something about older dakotas coming with 3" exhausts and
>newer ones coming with 2.5". was I correct in seeing this,if so would my 93
>have a 3",and if it did would I still benifit from putting on an aftermarket
>cat back exhaust and headers.
>thanks,

  I'm not sure about the exhaust, (I suspect you would still benefit, no
matter what size your pipe), but tubular headers would definitely help
over the stock manifolds.

   To tell if you have ABS... Hmmm... Someone else will probably be
able to give you a better answer, but until then, my suggestions would
be:

   1 - Check under the hood, in the fuse box. See if you have fuses in
       there for the ABS system.
   2 - Find some gravel, dirt, or snow. If you hit the brakes (with enough
       speed for you to slide a bit) you should either feel the brake pedal
       vibrating, or it will feel as if you've got gravel between your
       shoe and the pedal. (At least, that worked on my Mitsubishi, I'm not
       sure about the Dak)
   3 - I think that when you start your truck, the ABS light will light
       up momentarily on the dash if you have ABS.

  As far as reading the trouble codes goes, just turn your ignition on
  three times like so:

   (When I say ON, I mean turn the key through ACC and to ON, but stop there;
    don't turn it to START)
   (Starting with the key in the OFF position)
   Turn key ON, OFF, ON, OFF, ON

    And leave it in the ON position. Wait for the other indicator lamps
 to turn off, and watch in the lower left hand corner of the dash for
 the "Check Engine" light. It will begin to blink. Count the blinks for
 the trouble codes. There is a short pause between digits of the same
 code and a (slightly) longer pause between codes.

   For example, if there are no trouble codes stored, it will give you a
 "55" which means "end of codes" This would be:

 blink blink blink blink blink <short pause> blink blink blink blink blink

   A common code is 12, which means the battery has been disconnected within
 the past 50 start cycles. (If you want to test reading engine codes, this
 one is easy to create; just disconnect your battery cable for a few
 seconds.)

    That would read like:

 blink <short pause> blink blink
    <longer pause>
 blink blink blink blink blink <short pause> blink blink blink blink blink

   I hope this helps!

                                              -Jon-

  .--- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---.
  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT Club Cab, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 (#FF019) |
   I do not speak for the SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.