another open element question

From: Jack Snodgrass (jack@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Sat Mar 07 1998 - 11:44:36 EST

I was looking at my open element cleaner this morning and
noticed something a bit strange. My truck has 12K miles
on it. The engine compartment looks relatively clean.

The open element filter has a tube running to one side
of the engine block. I think it is connected to a
'valve cover' ( but then again I wouldn't know a valve
cover from a hole in the ground ). The tube us connected
to some pyramid shaped 'thingie' which is plugged into
the valve cover.

   Anyway... the pyramid shaped 'thingie' was pretty beat
up. It seems to be metal. It looked like it had been baked
quite a bit. All of the finish was flaking off and it appeared
to have some oxidation / rust on it. I popped it out, cleaned
it up a bit and replaced it.

   The question is... what is it and why is is so beat up
compared to the rest of the engine compartment?

Thanks,
     Jack Snodgrass
work: jack.snodgrass@tandem.com 972.516.6270 TandemJack
play: jack@dakota-truck.net 817.488.4386 JackLaptop