Re: another open element question

From: DelTech (info@deltech.net)
Date: Sun Mar 08 1998 - 03:15:22 EST

At 10:44 AM 3/7/98 -0600, you wrote:
>I was looking at my open element cleaner this morning and
>noticed something a bit strange. My truck has 12K miles
>on it. The engine compartment looks relatively clean.

Mine too.. unless you do alot of offroad I think the airflow
through the Dak engine compartments genraly keeps road dirt
from mucking up the works..

> The question is... what is it and why is is so beat up
>compared to the rest of the engine compartment?

That Thingy is called a PCV valve.. If my memory servs me it is
sort of a vent. One of its jobs is to recycle fumes and hot air
back into the enging... For the EPA you need it.. From what I have
done in the past is to get rid of it.. Most autopart stores carry
cheep little crome air filters that can replace it..

The wear comes from its job.. it gets pretty hot and handles lots
of nasty fumes that come off of the rocker assymbly..

If someone has a better description please update me.. I never
clamed to be a master of all my trades. :-)