Re: stupid question

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Sat Mar 07 1998 - 12:29:00 EST

At 06:17 PM 3/6/98 , you wrote:

>I keep seeing everyone refrencing an ignition key diagnostic.
>I'm new to Daks, where can I get a list of codes as well as the
>procedure do check out my system?
>
>Thanks

The procedure to run the diagnostic check is very simple. Turn your
ignition switch on (not to start, just to the on position) then
off-on-off-on. There will be a delay of a few seconds while the test runs,
then the results will be displayed. How they are displayed depends on the
year model of the truck. On year model 96 and older the check engine light
will flash. Count the flashes, one flash for 1, two flashes for 2 etc. Then
there will be a short pause and the second digit will flash out. Then there
will be a longer pause and the next number sequence will begin. This will
continue thru all the codes that the test returned till you get to a 55
(five flashes...short pause...five flashes) which signals the end of the
test. If all you get is 55, that means no faults were found. The 97 models
have a digital odometer and the codes are displayed on that (much easier
that counting flashes). Has anyone gotten this to work on 98 models?

I believe the codes are listed in the Mopar service manual. They are also
available on the web at http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/9636/obd2.html

Hope this helps.

--
Mike Crumley  mcrumley@airmail.net