Re: Wet weather traction problem

From: Michael Clark (mike@snakebite.com)
Date: Sun Mar 08 1998 - 00:53:43 EST

Jack Snodgrass wrote:

> I have a heavy foot. I have to be REALLY, REALLY careful on
> slick roads when I accelerate. Even if I'm doing 20 - 30 MPH,
> when I 'stomp' on it, the right side of the truck starts to
> push so the truck starts to go left. If I didn't let off
> the gas and correct for the turn, I could easily do a
> 180 by JUST accelerating and never moving the steering
> wheel. I've seen stock care race drivers and indy drivers
> do some neat 180 turns... but I always assumed that they
> turned the steering wheel at some point.
>
> Besides my bad driving... is it the fact that I don't
> have the limited slip differential that cause this to
> happen.
>
> Thanks,
> Jack Snodgrass

No Jack, in fact if you did have limited slip it would be even worse.
It might take a little more to break both tires loose but when they did
the rear end would fish tail worse than you non-sure grip does now.
Thats one reason why I'd like to have suregrip. There's been a few
times I'd make a slow turn, punch it trying to kick the rear around, and
the only thing that happens is I get one tire to spin. Other than that
the rear end tracks like it normally does, I mean where's the fun in
that? But there have been a few times the rear end would come around
and surprise me. Just seems that can't do it on purpose...

--
----
  Michael Clark            mike@snakebite.com