Re: drag racing 4X4 dak?

From: DelTech (info@deltech.net)
Date: Sun Mar 08 1998 - 03:23:20 EST

At 04:52 PM 3/6/98 -0600, you wrote:
>I checked my owners manual, and there is no top limit on 4H, only
>4L. As a matter of fact, it says you can shift into 4H at any
>speed. Top speed in 4L is 25mph. I was thinking of doing the same
>thing the next time I go to the local drag, but have not had the
>chance.

Yep, its amazing what you can do with all this new technology.
The only thing that logic is reinforcing here is that it probubly
would not be such a great idea if we forced it from 2x to 4x or
vise versa while flooring it.. That is what I would deffinently
call over stressing the equipment. Other than that I have
switched back and forth many times on and off road... All I did
was let off the gas a bit.

>Max speed of 4H is 55 MPH any higher than that and stuff starts
>to break,
>I believe you are going to get above 55 at a dragstrip so I
>wouldn't
>recommend it....

Before I chose to buy a new Dak I looked as a used 96 model that
had been used as a rental.. Lets see... That was in Jan of 97,
the truck was a real buty.. SLT V8 loaded.. It had 21K on it and
the dealer wouldn't take less than 20K for it.. When I test drove
it I found that even when letting off the gas it was a real
Bitch to shift into 4x and I had to stop to get it out...

My best guess is that due to its origin as a rental the users
had abused the 4x by forcing it in and out while having the engine
throttled.. Logicly this makes more sense that adding horsepower
to gears that are dissenguaging and then reenguaging you break things.

Thanks... I feel better now.. hehehe