Re: Tranny problems.

From: WillTier (WillTier@AOL.COM)
Date: Sun Mar 08 1998 - 08:26:17 EST

<< When these bearings destruct, they
 cause the sun/planetary/anulus and the overrunning clutch to grind up.
 This causes the filter in the transmission to partially clog and
 restricts the flow of fluid which causes low oil pressure on all the
 shift mechanisms and low and behold the clutches begin to slip and
 there goes the tranny. >>

Yo Triple A

I was told from a tranny shop that the OD is the biggest problem and that when
they go the pieces go through the rest of tranny and kill it. As I understand
your knowledge the pieces don't actually kill the rest of it but plug the
filter causing the reaimder of the problems ? If this is the case then as soon
as you notice a OD problem, if you shut it down and get it towed home you
could save the rest of the thing ? The other shop had said that if you caught
the OD problem and not drove it, that you could probably not destroy the rest
which I didn't understand cause if any pieces got to other parts there would
be problems but if they are caught by the filter then it would make sense.

Is there any help for the OD problems ?

Bill