RE: 98 Tailgate Protector

From: Joe Dille (joe@dille.montgomery.pa.us)
Date: Mon Mar 09 1998 - 19:17:14 EST

>> On Sun, 08 Mar 1998 10:10:59 -0400, Joe Dille wrote:
>>
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >I am looking for a black tailgate protector for my 98 Dak. One
>> >that just protects the inside edge would be OK. An extruded metal
>> >one will not do the trick since the newer tailgates bow out on the
>> >top edge. Any success storys would be apreciated.
>> >
>> >Drive Safe,
>>
>> Is the 98 tailgate different than the 97 tailgate? I have the
>> mopar liner and tailgate cover. The tailgate cover is available
>> separately.
>>
>> I don't really like that mopar tailgate cover because it stops
>> about 1 inch before the bottom of the tailgate, so there is
>> STILL exposed metal to scratch when loading the truck.
>>
>> It does fit across the top however.
>>

>Every tailgate liner I've ever seen stops about an inch or 2 before the
>bottom, I believe it allows the tailgate to close correctly, if it went
>all the way down the fit between the tailgate and the bed would be too
>tight to allow it to close.....

I am looking for the type of protector that just covers the top
of the gate. I also want black.

I learned a little bit more today when I stopped by the local truck
accessory place. Putco will be making a metal one that goes over the
top. It will be avaliable in the spring. Dee Zee will be making a
smoked plastic one, which will also be out in the spring. This
will be part of their Dy-Nam-X line. So it looks like I will have
to wait a month or two to get one that fits the truck properly.

Drive Safe,

Joe Dille

Telford PA USA
(joe@dille.montgomery.pa.us)