RE: Clutched Supercharger

From: John Neff (jndneff@flash.net)
Date: Tue Mar 10 1998 - 10:20:23 EST

The Toyota MR2 used a clutched S/C for a couple of years back in the
late 80's or very early 90's. My last room mate worked at a stereo shop
and was installing a system when I dropped by one day. He told me to
look under the rear deck while he revved the engine. Sure enough, there
was a small blower in there with what looked like an A/C clutch on it.
The car had a factory "Supercharged" tag molded into the standard model
identifier on the rear of the car and even had a digital boost gauge in
the dash. It's been a long time and I do not remember any other details
other than the engine compartment was really cramped and I could not see
where all of the tubes went, much less try to find a by pass valve. I'm
not even sure what style blower it was, i.e.. roots, centrifugal, screw.
But, I would guess it was a centrifugal, 1) for easy blow by when not in
use, 2) because it only kicked in under load above 3K RPM, and 3) for
space considerations.

John
98 Dak CC Sport 4X4,5.2L,Auto,T&H Package,Power Everything,Nerf
Bars,Billet Grill, Rhino Liner, DDBC