Re: Fixing to order 98 sport V-8

From: T & J (jan@bewellnet.com)
Date: Wed Mar 11 1998 - 20:23:07 EST

 From:Tim Roller>starwolf@bewellnet.com

>This option does not come as a kit. It is a piece together package from
the dealer parts service. You look-up in the performance catalog and pick
out headers,cam(or cam and spring kit package) the ratio of the cam you'd
like, exhaust system(dealer uses Gibson), valve covers, high ratio valve
rockers(1.7),the performance computer(or if truck is after '96, you
reprogram computer),and a few other minor things(that's just the engine mods
that are required. This package will set you back around $1500 to $1800.00.
If you also do the suspension package to handle this new increase in HP,
you'll need front and rear swaybars(if not equipped, performance
shocks,trans kit(firms up shifts),and a much better set of tires and rims(at
least 15x 8" minimum to hold this brute to the pavement) Then you can call
this beast a true R/T. Almost forgot, you will also need a double roller
timing chain(they have to disassemble the front end to put in the cam
anyway) With this set-up it will set you back another $1500 or so and that's
not counting all the new gaskets or any labor. This is why we backyard
mechanics do the work ourselves and do it in phases--You'll save money by
going to aftermarket catalogs and picking out what you want to have done to
your truck in phases and it'll be the same R/T only cheaper..All this hype
about the new '98 R/T coming out doesn't turn me on because the engine going
into it is just a 360 motor and doesn't have any true R/T components in it.
If you make your 318 into a true R/T with this package you'll make a
Corvette take notice. Later...