Re: CD ignition what? (kinda long)

From: Nicholas McKinney (nickmckinn@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Mar 11 1998 - 20:53:31 EST

At 07:13 PM 3/11/98 -0600, you wrote:
>> The plug gaps are relatively small showing that not much power is used
in the
>> system, and the engine is set up to run richer than typical engines of
yesterday.
>> Leaner engines need a serious spark to ignite them. (another point here is
>> that NOx is hard to clean once created and running the engine richer will
>> lower this amount but will create more HC which is then easily converted
>> into H2O and CO2 by the cat)
>
>The plugs are currently set at .035 in. I have MSD, Blaster 3, Headers,
and an open-
>element air filter, along w/ glaspacks. When I replace my spark plugs,
what should my
>gap be? It seems from above that I should gap them to more than .035
in.Thanks,
>Robert Trottmann
>rotrottmann@davidson.edu

Hello Robert,

Well you are limited by the plug wires and the ignition cap as to what
voltage can be used safely, larger gaps means higher voltage potentials. I
would reccommend going to .055" maximum to see what happens as your
ignition should handle that quite easily. What plug wires are you using?
If memory serves me well the plugs you probably have are the Champion
RC12YC (or equivalent), you could install a set of RC12YC5 to try out the
larger gap. The 5 at the end means the same plug with the larger gap.
Also I always use antiseize compound on the plug threads as it is highly
conductive, and dielectric silicone grease in the plug boot to help keep
the nasties out. You could try this experiment yourself as the plugs only
cost about $1 or so apiece (read no Splitfires :-). With the antisieze and
dielectric the total cost should not go over $12 or so.

I think that both MSD and Jacobs reccomend this gap as the maximum also.
The places I would not use this large gap is with a super/turbo charged
motor, or a real serious drag race motor, as in one going above 7000rpm.

Regards

Nicholas