Re: Nitrous VS Superchargers.

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 11 1998 - 23:13:15 EST

At 08:26 AM 3/8/98 -0500, you wrote:

><< Speaking of which, Bill, where do you get your nitrous? I asked
> a couple of people, and they didn't know where I could get it around
> here, they said "maybe Buffalo". I think I've seen it mail order, but
> there is a "hazardous materials charge" on it or something. Anyone
> else with nitrous have a good mail order source? >>
>
>I buy a 65 lb bottle fron Nelcor, Puritan-Bennett in Buffalo, a manufacturer

  Thanks for the info! Why did you pick them? (That is, are they the only
outfit in town, or the cheapest, or...?)

>of the stuff. I bought a refill setup from NOS about $65 and refill my own. I
>only get about 6 good runs and by refilling myself I refill what I used. Most
>places refill flat rate ($32-$40 per 10# bottle last time I checked). I refill
>what I used at about $2 per lb.. $10 - $12 per bottle used. I have to put 10#
>bottle in freezer atleast 2 hours and the warn 65# bottle to 85 - 90 degrees
>(few minutes with heat gun). Works well for me. I wish I could find the
>article about super chargers vs nitrous, very interesting. The supercharger
>deal is not all that simple and trouble free as you think. I'm happy with the
>NOS but I don't race on the streets with it, bad idea fer shurr, I just race
>at the strip which is no problem with the NOS.

    What's the deal with the cold 10# bottle and the warm 65# bottle? I
don't know anything about nitrous, just trying to learn as much as possible.
:-) Buying it "in bulk" sounds exactly like what I would do. (Especially
if its cheaper... Back when I drove a VW Rabbit Diesel, we had a tank
that held a few hundred gallons; we used to have a truck come to our house
and fill it up. Which wasn't very often at 55mpg! We got it for about
$.65/gallon. Way cheaper than at the pump!)

  By the way, what do you mean when you say its a bad idea to race on
the street with NOS? Is it the safety issue, where all racing on the
streets is probably a bad idea, or is there something special about
nitrous that makes it a worse idea than usual?

>Research both thoroughly, I'll try to find some of my old research materials
>and post it if I get a chance.

   If you can find anything, I'd love to see it!!!!

>Won't be long now.....

  Yep. =) Have you gotten a flier from them yet? I haven't received
anything. Been thinking about calling them up (if I can find the #) to
see when they're opening. I wonder if they offer "season passes"? ;-)

                                              -Jon-

  .--- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---.
  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT Club Cab, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 (#FF019) |
   I do not speak for the SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.