Re: Front tire wear on 98 4x2

From: Jerry Jackson (jacksonj@cyberramp.net)
Date: Fri Mar 13 1998 - 20:13:18 EST

Jeff, it sounds like you have the same problem I did. I have posted
about 4-5 times on the net, and people are finally starting to respond
on this one, and I think more people have the problem than they think.
I noticed the tire wear after only about 700 miles, and it was so bad the
dealer agreed with me that there must be an alignment problem, so they
realigned it. Of course, the alignment was within spec. According to my
experience, you are on track to have your tires replaced within 7000 miles.
In my case, the front tires, which had been on the rear for the first 5000
miles and had "normal" outside edge wear, were worn to the steel belt
before 12000. The rest of the tire looked fine. And for you skeptics,
this is a pampered truck that gets proper maintenance. In fact, two days
after the rear tires were moved to the front and the front end realigned,
the
truck was driven from San Jose, CA to Dallas, putting about 2000 miles on
the odometer. This was vastly straight line highway mileage, and guess
what?
The decent rear tires were then very worn. It was then I realized this was
serious problem.

So as not to bore everyone again, check my other postings in recent days
(Feb, March) from the archives. It is getting late to fix yours, they may
continue to wear even after the front alignment is fixed.