Re: Nitrous bottle questions.

From: WillTier (WillTier@AOL.COM)
Date: Tue Mar 17 1998 - 22:08:06 EST

<< You know the boy scout motto... Be prepared... I was never a boy scout,
 but its a good philosophy I think... ;-) >>

I should have known you bail out of that one. I'll have to remember that one
for future use.

<<Incidentally, did you have to drill to route your hoses or to mount the
bottle? Drilling holes in my truck is one thing I'd like to avoid, if at
all possible. (Well, unless the holes aren't visible after removing the NOS
system.) >>

Nope had to drill holes and they would be there after, don't know any safe way
around that..

<<Hmmm, so a bigger bottle wouldn't matter? (I'm not quite sure what you
mean about "losing twice as many" runs.) Do you mean that actual nitrous
would be wasted?>>

I'm not quite sure what I mean either, seemed to make sense when I first wrote
it. I bring it up to the same pressure each time but after 5 - 6 #'s is used
you lose performance and next run worse. Must be something to do with the
temperature of the nitrous vs temp of air vs quantity of each (boy I'm really
confused now) in that when there is more air than Nitrous the air runs low on
pressure sooner than when the nitrous is heated and builds pressure it retains
the pressure longer into the run ???????????????? Perfectly clear now isn't it
? So my thought is with a bigger bottle you would get more good runs but when
you reach the point that you lose performance then there would also be more
nitrous left that would not give full performance. Probably would equal out to
same as 2 ten # bottles though ???

<<Also, does anyone have any good sources of information about nitrous?
Maybe a book, or a magazine? I know that Hot Rod sometimes puts out
a special issue on one subject; I have a couple on superchargers (which
has a little info on nitrous, but not much.) I'd like to know as much
as possible before jumping into the pool. :-) I was thinking of spending
the $5 for the NOS catalog. Is there any good info in there?>>

I have read a couple of good articles back when I was researching the stuff.
Should have them here someplace. If I can round them up I'll try to remember
to bruing em to the track the first time we are both able to get there and let
you borrow them. If thats to far off then if I find them I'll contact you and
mail em to ya. Also if you get on NOS site they hav some real good info on
Nitrous, I think in frequently asked questions. I believe it is same info as
in ther catalog. I have or am supposed to have a new catalog out in the box I
received from them today but haven't opened it yet, I'll let you know if it is
worth it..

Later
Bill