Re: Nitrous bottle questions.

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 17 1998 - 23:28:36 EST

At 10:08 PM 3/17/98 -0500, you wrote:
><< You know the boy scout motto... Be prepared... I was never a boy scout,
> but its a good philosophy I think... ;-) >>
>
>I should have known you bail out of that one. I'll have to remember that one
>for future use.

  Hee hee hee! :)

><<Incidentally, did you have to drill to route your hoses or to mount the
>bottle? Drilling holes in my truck is one thing I'd like to avoid, if at
>all possible. (Well, unless the holes aren't visible after removing the NOS
>system.) >>
>
>Nope had to drill holes and they would be there after, don't know any safe way
>around that..

  Hmmm... Yeah... :-P I liked the idea of putting it in the engine bay; too bad
its so hot in there; that would've been nice... I was reading the NOS web site, and
in addition to having the bottle be at a certain angle and having the blowoff valve
down, they recommend having the neck of the bottle facing forward. So, that limits
the choices even further...

><<Hmmm, so a bigger bottle wouldn't matter? (I'm not quite sure what you
>mean about "losing twice as many" runs.) Do you mean that actual nitrous
>would be wasted?>>
>
>I'm not quite sure what I mean either, seemed to make sense when I first wrote
>it. I bring it up to the same pressure each time but after 5 - 6 #'s is used
>you lose performance and next run worse. Must be something to do with the
>temperature of the nitrous vs temp of air vs quantity of each (boy I'm really
>confused now) in that when there is more air than Nitrous the air runs low on

>pressure sooner than when the nitrous is heated and builds pressure it retains
>the pressure longer into the run ???????????????? Perfectly clear now isn't it
>? So my thought is with a bigger bottle you would get more good runs but when
>you reach the point that you lose performance then there would also be more
>nitrous left that would not give full performance. Probably would equal out to
>same as 2 ten # bottles though ???

   Ahhhh... Ok, I think I understand now. :-) The bigger bottle would give you
more runs, but there would also be a larger amount of "unuseable nitrous". (I
would guess that it could be figured out to be X percent of the weight for any
size bottle, since it is a pressure thing...) My question now is: what happens
to that unuseable nitrous when you refill the bottle? Is it wasted or can it
be used? That is, say you make 6 runs on a 10lb bottle and have 2lbs left, which
is essentially unuseable. When you refill the bottle, do you lose those 2lbs,
(does it escape when you open the bottle and you have to put 10lbs in), or do you
just add 8lbs to top it off? If you do just "top it off", I'd probably lean toward
a bigger bottle just so I can get more runs between refills.

   I assume it is possible to put a "T" connection in the line and use 2 bottles
at the same time?

><<Also, does anyone have any good sources of information about nitrous?
>Maybe a book, or a magazine? I know that Hot Rod sometimes puts out
>a special issue on one subject; I have a couple on superchargers (which
>has a little info on nitrous, but not much.) I'd like to know as much
>as possible before jumping into the pool. :-) I was thinking of spending
>the $5 for the NOS catalog. Is there any good info in there?>>
>
>I have read a couple of good articles back when I was researching the stuff.
>Should have them here someplace. If I can round them up I'll try to remember
>to bruing em to the track the first time we are both able to get there and let
>you borrow them. If thats to far off then if I find them I'll contact you and
>mail em to ya. Also if you get on NOS site they hav some real good info on
>Nitrous, I think in frequently asked questions. I believe it is same info as
>in ther catalog. I have or am supposed to have a new catalog out in the box I
>received from them today but haven't opened it yet, I'll let you know if it is
>worth it..

  Thanks!! I've got a book and a video on the way (UPS), and I checked out
the NOS site the other day; some good info there. Not really any "make &
model" type info though... I was hoping they'd have something like "'96 Dodge
318 Magnum kit". Maybe they do; I'm going to have to call them to see what is
involved. I heard something somewhere about needing a new manifold? I hope not;
I was thinking about buying the Mopar Performance single plane manifold one of
these days...

  Anyway, yep! I'd sure like to take a look at that info! Any idea when
they're going to open the track? I suppose I should dig up their phone
number and ask 'em. (or would that be too easy?) :-) I haven't gotten a
schedule from 'em or anything.

  Thanks again!

                                              -Jon-

  .--- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---.
  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT Club Cab, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 (#FF019) |
   I do not speak for the SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.