Re: alignments

From: Marc Robertson (marc@blackberry-ridge.com)
Date: Tue Mar 17 1998 - 23:08:10 EST

Michael Clark wrote:

> Marc Robertson wrote: I understand that you may get
> > bump-steer as the suspension moves through it's travel, but would an
> > alignment shop deal with bump steer?
> >
> > Marc Robertson
> > marc@blackberry-ridge.com
>
> Could someone tell me what bump steer is? That's a new one to me.

I'm far from an expert on this, but the term is mainly useful in race
cars where EVERYTHING is adjustable. The goal is to set the suspension
up so that as the front end goes up or down from acceleration or
braking, or the chassis rolls from cornering, that the steering doesn't
change, or changes as little as possible within the constraints of the
vehicle's design. A major goal is often to avoid toe-out under braking,
which can be disconcerting since the vehicle will *steer* itself as it
encounters *bumps*. I'm not qualified to give a more complete answer --
and books have been written on the subject.

Marc Robertson
marc@blackberry-ridge.com