Re: R/T - Quit jerkin' my chain!

From: Robert Tufts (rbt@frontiernet.net)
Date: Fri Mar 20 1998 - 17:16:24 EST

Mike,

Any plan would be better than no plan at all. CC first floated
this unobtainable carrot in front of us last January. All along
it implied they were ready to take all orders once available.
I don't think anyone would have a problem if they made it a point
up front that this would be VERY limited production and that the
dealers were free to deal as they wished. Instead they have been
dangling this carrot and moving out the delivery date.
"Keep on strokin'". Don't promise what you have not researched
that you can deliver, and then when you find out that you can't
deliver it, don't keep advertising it like you can (Yesterday's
AutoWeek ad). I admit that I'm not privy to details of the problems,
but I'm guessing the R/T is severely cut back so that more Grand
Cherokees & Durangos can live. This is OK but the Grand Cherokee
side of the house should have met with the Dakota R/T side of the house
a LONG time ago and told them to kill their advertising "'cause I'm
gonna steal all your engines and not allow you to keep your promises
to your customers that have been waiting for a year". This is my
first exposure to CC and I know know that if they can deliver it,
it can be great (love my Sport+), but they don't seem to be able
to look at the big production picture (ran out of V8's last year
and my 97 Dak became a '98). Shame on me for wanting to believe
more than I should have of "The New Dodge". I hope they learn
from this (I know to reset my expectations with this new_to_me
CC and know that the marketing and production depts are not
as communicative as they should be with each other).

-Bob T. (Real '98 Sport+ :-)