Rear axle whining

From: Tomdamit (Tomdamit@AOL.COM)
Date: Thu Mar 26 1998 - 21:31:13 EST

Went basck into dealer today as the rear axle was STILL whining on
deceleration between 50 and 40 mph. This after they replaced the entire rear
axle assy. from wheel to wheel at 2,000 miles. I got a call this afternoon
from dealer service rep who said CC was now aware of the problem and is
working on a fix. According to him, the whine isn't the fault of the gears at
all, really. It's a harmonic problem with the sound apparently being
amplified by the driveshaft. If you look under a 2WD Dak Club Cab you will
see one of the largest driveshafts known to man. I mean this thing is big.
It appears to be aluminum and apparently resonates and amplifies sound. I
haven't hit it with a wrench but it probably would ring like a bell.
I know this may "sound" strange but it certainly could be right. I'm going to
wait it out. Dealer says fix could come at any time - he will keep me advised
or I will call him. Probably 2 to 3 months but we'll see. Anyone else?
Tom Ware
Riverside, CA
'98 CC V8, auto, "Arrest Me Red", flares ,T &H, 3 inch cat back, etc.