Re: RE: Re: '97 AC pulley

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Fri Mar 27 1998 - 09:50:34 EST

> Once again - I KNOW the compressor is supposed to cycle on - it looked
> like the pulley wasn't turning - looked like the belt was SLIDING over
> the pulley for a few seconds at a time.

  Check that carefully, since the belt will fail in short time if rubbing
over the pulley. Should make a lot of noise and burning rubber smell when
sliding.

  It might still be the electromagnetic clutch cycling. Depending on
clutch design, the off cycle can often look like an immobile pulley,
except that the pulley is freewheeling over the clutch assembly. That
is the way it worked on my old S-10 (Harrison compressor). I haven't
yet had to debug my Dakota's Sanden compressor.

  Does anybody know if the Dakota A/C compressors are a scroll design?
I know that Sanden developed an automotive scroll compressor, which is
a lot more efficient than the piston types.

  Ron