Re: Tune-up question

From: Nicholas McKinney (nickmckinn@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Apr 01 1998 - 21:45:30 EST

At 05:14 PM 4/1/98 -0500, you wrote:
>> The problem here is that the NGK will probably cross reference to the
>> RC12YC and not directly to the RC12LC4 which uses a longer core nose (the L
>> part of the #).
>
> I'm having trouble understanding the verbal description of "longer core
>nose." Does it refer to a longer threaded portion of the plug, or is there
>some difference in the center electrode causing it to extend through the
>plug end further than the RC12YC? The latter doesn't make sense to me,
>as it would seem to imply a hotter heat range.

It extends out about .1~.2" further into the chamber than the Y series. If
it helps anyone here is the breakdown of the part number.

R resistor
C the thread and depth of metal casing
12 heat range (higher numbers are hotter in American and colder in Japanese)
L super projected nose (Y is standard projected nose)
C copper core
4 longer gap at .040~.045"

>> I have tried those Autolite platinums and was not impressed at all. They
>> use a small raised portion on the center electrode (the platinum
>> supposedly) that wore down very quickly with me.
>
> Hmmm, thanks for the warning. Were these the double or single platinums?
>If I do bother to try them out, I plan on the double platinums. But I will
>definitely heed your advice to check for wear after a few thousand miles.

Hmmm, I don't really know to be honest. The engine shop I was at tried
whatever was available at PepBoys about 3 years ago. We tried many plugs
and found none to be any better power wise, and most exotics to be worst
durability wise. I can say that NGK did seem to last the longest in the
serious race stuff. I plan to locate the Champions for my Dak as it seems
quite easy to change them.

Regards

Nicholas

           Nicholas McKinney