Got the Durango!

From: Michael Clark (mike@snakebite.com)
Date: Fri Apr 03 1998 - 01:23:16 EST

Went with my parents this morning to pick up our new Durango. Dark
Chestnut, 5.2L, SLT+, 3.9 rear, Leather seats with suede accents with
the ram head embroidered on them, 3rd seat, rear air, towing package,
heavy duty service group,the larger tires and rims, and a bunch of other
stuff. Man this is one nice vehicle! Doesn't quite have the spunk of
my Dakota, but for a big heavy tank-of-a-vehicle it does quite well.
Feels nice and solid, with the heavy duty front and rear sway bars it
corners like a dream. (well, considering I'm used to my Dak wich has no
bars at the present time I would think a motorhome corners like a
dream). Best riding 4X4 vehicle I've ever riden in, as quiet as could
be. After roughly 160 miles it's averaging 10.8 MPG acording to the
overhead console. I'm sure this will improve as the engine breaks in.
But the best part is the neat instrument test you can do on the '98's.
This was one of the first things I showed to my friends, just plain fun
watching the guages do their thing. So far the only mod is a bug shield
that is still in the box (I'll be putting that on tommorow) and
eventually some nerf bars. (if it were mine it would already have a
FABM on it, but the parents arent' as mod happy as I am) I'll post some
pictures of it in a few days when I get some taken. Maybe I'll do a
Durango Decal By Clark as well....

Anyway, first question. Durango is around 80% Dakota so maybe someone
can help with this. It has the security option, and the keyless entry
thing. When you lock it with the remote the horn doesn't chirp. The
manual says it can be programmed to do this so you can tell easily if it
locked. It doesn't say how, just says that the dealer can program it to
do this. Does anyone know what is involved in doing this? Is a special
tool or interface needed to reprogram or is it some kind of proceedure
you must follow? ie. key on off on off on... that type thing.

So now there's two 318's in the family, one mild mannered, and one fire
breather.... Put'em together and that's 636 c.i. of pure (V)OPAR!!!

--
----
  Michael Clark            mike@snakebite.com