Re: roller-tip rockers???

From: Matthew Brandes (mbrandes@realworks.com)
Date: Fri Apr 03 1998 - 16:40:46 EST

I have a copy of the Dec 97 (I think) Truckin' magazine that has a
step-by-step installation guide for the Crower rockers on a '97 Dakota V8.
They also have a performance chart. I'll get the info and repost some of
it here. I do know that you had to modify the valve covers a bit with a
ball-pean hammer as the rockers sit higher then the stock ones.

At 01:04 PM 4/3/98 -0600, you wrote:
>I was flipping through an old (Nov. '97) issue of Hot Rod, and it had some
>valvetrain hints. Then, I came across the valvetrain buyer's guide. Is
>anyone on the list using roller-tip rockers on their otherwise-stock
>(valvetrain-wise) Magnum V8? They say the benefits are greater
>strength, cooler operation, resistance to deflection, and more accurate
>rocker ratio. And, Crower makes a set of self-aligning, roller-tip rockers
>that they claim will add 20HP to a Magnum V8 (50 state emissions-legal,
>too). They also say that the 1.7's are compatible with stock cams &
>valvesprings.
>
>Anyway, I asked Lance about them and he said he got 11HP, but I'm not
>sure if he had already changed other things or not. If you're reading this,
>Lance, how about giving the list your best impressions of this mod for
>daily-driven, street applications? I'm sure others are interested. Thanks.
>
>I don't know alot about this mod, so I have some questions. Is this a
>smart mod for a truck that is used for weekend tow duty? Will it affect
>my fuel economy? I know they say that the 1.7's are compatible, but
>should other things be upgraded at the same time to ensure reliability?
>How much labor are we talkin', if I take it to a shop?
>
>Thanks for any help.
>
>Steve '98 CC Sport V8 5-speed 3.55

Matthew Brandes

First Realty Advisors, Inc.