roller-tip rockers???

From: Stephan Boianoff (sboianoff@mdc.com)
Date: Fri Apr 03 1998 - 14:04:15 EST

I was flipping through an old (Nov. '97) issue of Hot Rod, and it had some
valvetrain hints. Then, I came across the valvetrain buyer's guide. Is
anyone on the list using roller-tip rockers on their otherwise-stock
(valvetrain-wise) Magnum V8? They say the benefits are greater
strength, cooler operation, resistance to deflection, and more accurate
rocker ratio. And, Crower makes a set of self-aligning, roller-tip rockers
that they claim will add 20HP to a Magnum V8 (50 state emissions-legal,
too). They also say that the 1.7's are compatible with stock cams &
valvesprings.

Anyway, I asked Lance about them and he said he got 11HP, but I'm not
sure if he had already changed other things or not. If you're reading this,
Lance, how about giving the list your best impressions of this mod for
daily-driven, street applications? I'm sure others are interested. Thanks.

I don't know alot about this mod, so I have some questions. Is this a
smart mod for a truck that is used for weekend tow duty? Will it affect
my fuel economy? I know they say that the 1.7's are compatible, but
should other things be upgraded at the same time to ensure reliability?
How much labor are we talkin', if I take it to a shop?

Thanks for any help.

Steve '98 CC Sport V8 5-speed 3.55