Re: Dakota 4X4

From: Bruce Aaron Hefner (gt9742a@prism.gatech.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 06 1998 - 10:20:25 EDT

> > What is the reasoning behind buying a 2wd truck? If you want to race get a
> > mustang or vette. Trucks are used for there 4X4 ability.
>
> 2WD trucks are cheaper to buy, and cheaper to maintain. There's also a lot
> less crap to break than on the 4WD. Not to mention the extra driveline mass
> you get with the 4WD (==> slower, less fuel efficient).
>

> >From what I've read lately on the list, when it comes to Daks I'll probably
> get double the tread mileage with a fraction of the visits to the alignment
> shop with my 4X4. I don't anticipate any 4X4 maint items, so after paying
> for the 4X4 up front the maint is cheaper! :-) Way to go CC! :-)
>

> -Bob T. '98 Sport+ CC 4X4 V8 5sp 4WABS 3.55 Towing

Seriously, I've never heard of anyone having to do work on their front
axle or transfer case before, I've had friends with 4X4's blow an engine
or have a transmission go out, but the 4WD part was always intact and as
soon as they got the engine/trans rebuilt they didn't have to do anything
to get 4X working again. Heck my brother had a trans go out on him one
time, after it died he put it in 4X and went another 5 miles which was a
very good thing since he was out in the middle of nowhere so he only had
to walk 2 miles as opposed to 7 to get help. I just don't see how the 4X
is any more costly to maintain than the 2X......

Bruce