More info on CB's

From: Sperduto, Nick (SperdutoN@mail.dnb.com)
Date: Mon Apr 06 1998 - 11:03:00 EDT

HI, A good brand of CB is a Midland or a Cobra, around $100 should get
you a nice one.
It's also a good idea to invest in a SWR meter if the radio doesn't have
one built in. IF you have any kind of short in the antenna wire and
don't check it with the SWR meter, you can ruin the CB and not even
really know it. I had to get a brand new antenna whip (because it
vibrated and came off) on a trip last month, I stopped and got the same
antenna and took just the top half and bottom half of the antenna and
put it onto my base and it pinned the meter, so I had use the new top
half and my old bottom half to get it right. Had I not checked it, I
would have runied the set by the time I got home.
I travel alot and I also like the radios that had the weather channels
built in, A nice feature to think about.

But actually most important is a good antenna, the most expensive radio
with a crappy antenna is no good. About the best antenna you can get is
a k-40, it'll probably set you back about $50.

In my dakota (98 cc 4wd) I mounted the CB about an inch over from the
shifter handle and was able to use the trim screw holes to hold my
brackets in. Then I ran the antenna wire up over the passenger door
(tucked under the headliner all the way) then into the back and through
the hole the wire goes thru for the 3rd brake light, I took out the 3rd
brake light and filed the lower outer edge of the brake light down so
with the wire coming thru, it would still sit pretty flush on the truck
and not leak, the I put it right in the middle of the roof (it's a
magnetic mount)
It works great, my SWR is excellent at a little over 1:1 and I've
transmitted for miles.

check out www.cbshop.com They have alot of info there.

Good luck
Nick