Re: Dakota 4X4

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Mon Apr 06 1998 - 11:04:07 EDT

> > I don't anticipate any 4X4 maint items

> Seriously, I've never heard of anyone having to do work on their front
> axle or transfer case before [...]
> I just don't see how the 4X is any more costly to maintain than the 2X......

  Try eyeballing the maintenance schedule sometime. Do you guys ever
swap out the front and/or rear axle fluid? (Specified for 12K interval
on Schedule B.) 4x4 parts also tend to be a bit more expensive than their
2x counterparts; at least that was the case on my old S-10 and presumably
true for the Dakota.

  Granted, that may not be a big deal to you guys, but I've found that the
vast majority of people who buy the 4x4 option around here almost never
really need it. The only times I'd need it would be our occasional snow
or ice storm (once or twice a year), or a trip to the beach or mountains.
I've gotten stuck twice, where 4x4 would have been a real help, but a come-
along solved my problem and was a heck of a lot cheaper than the 4x option.

  Ron