3 Problems w/98

From: Joe Dille (joe@dille.montgomery.pa.us)
Date: Thu Apr 23 1998 - 06:46:30 EDT

I just got back from my dealer and I am dissapointed with the
service. About 2 weeks ago I went in with 3 problems:

1) The right side seat belt did not lock when pulled rapidly.
(The left one did.)

2) There was a light "clunk" in the steering when I accelerate or
decelerate.

3) The heater was loud on the heat setting.

I took the truck in with the above 3 complaints and they diagnosed
it and said they ordered the parts to replace the belt for 1) and
perform TSBs on 2) and 3). Yesterday I gave them the truck to
install all of the parts and the story was all different when I
got it back.

1) They replaced the belt, but it works the same. Now, if the
original belt was OK why did they not tell me this was normal
operation and explain the left and right worked differently. Most
of all I wanted them to say it was safe. They did not tell me it
was safe, before or after the service.

2) They said the TSB was only for 4WD and did not apply to 2WD.
They took a new Dak off the lot and drove it. It did the same
thing. My explination was "they all do that". Why did they order
the parts and say they were going to fix it, when they should have
known the TSB did not apply?

3) They said the TSB on the heater was only for 1997, not my
1998. They tryed a 1998 in the lot and the heater sounded the
same. Again, "they all do that".

I am looking to the list for suggestions as to what I should do
next. My plan was to write a letter to the service manager about
the above. If they did not give me satisfaction I would write to
the person suggested in the owners manual.

A) How many of you with 2WD 97-98 Dakotas have problem 2) ?

B) Any other ideas how to follow this up with Chrysler?

Drive Safe,

Joe Dille

Telford PA USA
(joe@dille.montgomery.pa.us)