Hesistation on a '98

From: Buelterman, Chris (Chris_Buelterman@mail.msj.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 25 1998 - 20:10:43 EDT

I have a '98 Dakota CC, 4x4, 5.2 V8, automatic that hesitates after it sits
overnight. I took it to the dealer and they told me that what I was talking
about was a characteristic of the '98 V8 Dak. (That's the same dealer that
told me that it was normal to take two or three long tries to get the engine
to turn over and three days later my starter died.) Anyway, what happens is
that when my truck sits overnight and then I take off in the morning, the
engine hesitates in first gear during the first and sometimes second
acceleration from a stop. When this happens I am holding the accelerator
steady, but when I look at the tach it shows the engine speed is holding at
1300 RMP for a second, then jumping to 1500 RMP and holding there for a
second, and so on until the trany shifts into second. It sometimes does it
in second gear too, but not as bad. I guess my question is has anyone else
noticed this "characteristic" with their V8 or is the dealer just feeding me
another story?

Chris Buelterman
'98 Dakota CC 4x4 V8