RE: Hesitation on a '98

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Mon Apr 27 1998 - 10:37:43 EDT

     I think you are getting a load of BS from your dealership, sorry
     man... I checked my '98 V8 out for this condition this morning and
     none of the things you are talking about happened on mine... It
     shifted at about the right spot and revved normally under mild
     acceleration. I don't know if it might be a temperature thing... it
     was only 40 degrees this morning in Boston. The engine fan sure does
     sound like a cyclone under the hood though! The noise quiets down
     after a short distance once it gets up to operating temp. or whatever
     it needs to calm down (personally I think it sounds pretty cool, but I
     don't usually leave early enough for work to annoy the neighbors;)...

     T.
     Boston, MA
     '98 CC 4X4 V8 Auto., with ARE CX Cap INSTALLED! as of last Friday
     (looks fantastic if you need a cap for your Dak!)

     From: "Buelterman, Chris" <Chris_Buelterman@mail.msj.edu>
     Subject: DML: Hesistation on a '98

     I have a '98 Dakota CC, 4x4, 5.2 V8, automatic that hesitates after it
     sits
     overnight. I took it to the dealer and they told me that what I was
     talking
     about was a characteristic of the '98 V8 Dak. (That's the same dealer
     that
     told me that it was normal to take two or three long tries to get the
     engine
     to turn over and three days later my starter died.) Anyway, what
     happens is
     that when my truck sits overnight and then I take off in the morning,
     the
     engine hesitates in first gear during the first and sometimes second
     acceleration from a stop. When this happens I am holding the
     accelerator
     steady, but when I look at the tach it shows the engine speed is
     holding at
     1300 RMP for a second, then jumping to 1500 RMP and holding there for
     second, and so on until the trany shifts into second. It sometimes
     does it
     in second gear too, but not as bad. I guess my question is has anyone
     else
     noticed this "characteristic" with their V8 or is the dealer just
     feeding me
     another story?

     Chris Buelterman
     '98 Dakota CC 4x4 V8