RE: bogged down

From: Walter Felix (Walter_Felix@classic.msn.com)
Date: Mon Apr 27 1998 - 12:56:52 EDT

The front and rear differentials have breather tubes as well as the transfer
case. I have had my Dakota out mudding on many occasions. First check the
fluid level in the differentials. If it's milky, you definitely got some
water in there and have to change it. The breather for the transfer case is
about 6 inches higher than the differentials. If the differentials are OK,
then the transfer case shouldn't be a problem. Second, hit all the grease
fittings under the front end with a grease gun. Don't forget any fittings on
the driveshafts. Also inspect the CV boots for any damage. A pinhole in one
of those can allow water/dirt to get into there.

If you do this sort of thing frequently, you can get a short length of air
hose and a few small hose clamps. I bought a 6 foot coiled air hose at sears.
I cut the hose into 3, 2 foot lengths and clamped one end of each to the
breather tubes. The other ends I attached to a higher spot on the truck. By
snorkeling the breathers I'm able to traverse deeper water without getting
moisture into sensitive parts.

Walter_Felix@MSN.COM

Truck: 88 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4.

Color: Flash Red

Motor: 3.9 V6

Tranny: A-500 Auto with NVP231 Transfer Case

Factory Accessories: AC, Cruise, Tilt, PW, PD, Rear Slider, Light Bar, Fog
Lamps & Covers

Aftermarket Mods: Lund Interceptor, Lund Moon Visor, Sony AM/FM/Cassette w/10
Disk Changer, ventguards, custom bed mat, black Dee-Zee tailgate protector,
Lund head-lamp blackouts, 4 Dick Cepek lamps with custom covers, cowl style
hood scoop, 3" TrailMaster body lift, 31x10.50x15 Dunlop Radial Mud Rovers on
15x10 AR Type 26 rims, X-Tang railed tonneau cover (cut and fitted to bed
bar), Lund TailMate, Rancho RS-5000 Shocks, FlowMaster 3" in/2 2-1/2" outlets,
BushWacker fender flares, Taylor 8mm wires (Red), "FABM", "DDBC", cranked
torsion bars.

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/9219