Only 3! WAS; how many damn gears???

From: Michael Clark (mike@snakebite.com)
Date: Thu Apr 30 1998 - 00:24:56 EDT

Michael Clark wrote:
> think I'll go for a spin and count 'em be back in a little bit......
> [Mike heads out the door, keys in hand]

Well, kiss my ass there is only 3 and the overdrive! The only thing I
can think is that I was counting the converter lock up as the
overdrive. I pulled out in 1st shifted into 2nd (see us auto guys can
shift too) ran it up to about 3000 then shifted into "D" or third
whatever you want to call it. And that was it. After it warmed up I
felt the converter lock but it was kinda hard to notice in 3rd gear.
Engaged overdrive and felt the converter unlock for a moment and then it
went into 4th and a few seconds later the converter locked again. I
must say the when it locks while in 4th it is easily felt and as I
proved can easily be mistaken for another gear.

Just goes to show you, you never really know everything. I know I'm not
the only yahoo on here that thought this. I remember someone saying
that his auto was technicaly a 5 speed counting the overdrive and that
if you really wanted to count, the converter lockup made 6. I gues it
is really a 4.5 speed??

Ok, so here is a good question; in 3rd gear what is the top speed
before you redline?

--
---Mike, shifting gears near Houston.---
 My sig file=====> http://web.wt.net/~mclark/signature.txt