Lug Nut Torque

From: Joe Dille (joe@dille.montgomery.pa.us)
Date: Fri May 01 1998 - 21:54:34 EDT

The proper torque for Dakota lug nuts is 115-150 N-m (85-110 ft-lbs) From
page 22-10 of the 1998 Dakota FSM. IMHO, this is quite a large range, but
it must be OK. There are two notes on page 22-9 that are important.

"Note: Do not use chrome plated lug nuts with chrome plated wheels."

The Chrome on Chrome may gall and prevent proper tightining. This would
cause the studs to have insuficient tension even thought he nuts have the
proper torque.

"Never use grease or oil on studs or nuts."

The torque specification is for dry assembly. Any lubrication will cause
a higher tension at the specified torque. This may stretch the stud or nut
or possibly break them. A stretched stud/nut will not achieve the proper
tension when it is tightened again due to the deformation of the threads.

I experienced this first hand. I lubricated the studs on my Chebby with
a high pressure grease, then tightened the lug nuts to the specified
torque. The nuts wer harder and harder to take off each time. It turns
out the nuts were deforming from over tension and compressing on the
stud. Strange but true.

Drive Safe,

Joe Dille

Telford PA USA