Spiders from Hell!

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Sat May 02 1998 - 22:07:54 EDT

     OK this is going to sound a bit bizarre but bear with me... I think
     my Dak is growing spiders! I was driving home the other night when
     this miniature tarantula (black, furry, with white spots, but
     thankfully only about 1/2 to 1" around) peaks around the corner of the
     window/roof strut and starts staring me down! No shit!! Look, I have
     lived in New England pretty much all my life and I have never seen a
     spider that looked like this, EVER! Now I didn't panic at this point,
     I simply reached in my center console, grabbed a napkin and prepared
     for battle. I am driving on Memorial Drive (almost a very appropriate
     name) that has no where to pull off and I swear I can sense this thing
     is about to jump on my nose! So I up the anti and go for it!!!! I'll
     be damned but I only winged him (fast little sucker) and he fell
     straight down on the seat between my legs :o)
     Shhhhhiiiiiiiiittttttttt!, I nearly jumped out the window!!!!
     Fortunately, he had lost a couple of legs on my first pass and I was
     able to finish him off without driving off the road.

     My question (and the relevance) is pretty straight forward... My Dak
     was built in Warren Michigan, do you guys have some funky spiders out
     that way or do the engine components come from some exotic land? You
     see I have run into about six of these suckers so far and, with the
     exception of the one above, I have found them mostly scurrying around
     in the engine compartment.

     Just curious (and a bit arachnephobic at this point)

     T.
     Boston, MA

     P.S. This IS a true story, honest! I haven't done any serious drugs
     in a long, long time... Just me and Jim Beam from time to time now!