Re: fuel injector cleaners

From: John C. Worden (scirocco@midmaine.com)
Date: Sun May 03 1998 - 09:36:16 EDT

At 02:47 PM 5/2/98 -0700, you wrote:
>I just saw on Motor Week(it was a lazy day) about fuel injector
>cleaners. The show stated that they are good because they help keep
>pistons/valves clean. Wondering if anyone uses this stuff and had the
>engine apart (porting heads or whatever) to tell if it made a
>difference.
>
>PS also had the Neon R/T on the show
>16.6 in quarter mile seems slow

I think the better ones help. Short of taking the heads off the easiest
way to tell if they help your truck would be improved gas mileage and/or
running smoother. I read a write up a few years ago in European Car about
Lubro-Moly products and tried them. I thought they were very good. I
tried their Jectron (injector cleaner) and Ventil Sauber (valve cleaner)
and the mileage on my old volkswagen increased a mile or two on average and
ran smoother at idle and take off. This car had 180k on it. The main
ingredient in the Jectron is Naptha which is a main ingredient, I believe,
in flame throwers.

John '98 Dak cc Sport 4x4, 3.9 auto, Intense Blue, Leer Classic tonneau,
               Pioneer DEH-P85DHR, ventshades
          '84 Scirocco