Re: R/T at the Drag Strip

From: catlin (catlin@erols.com)
Date: Mon May 11 1998 - 18:29:15 EDT

 Lance Martz wrote:

> Mike,
> I dynoed my 5.2-liter with the stock element and the drop-in K&N (this
> was almost a year ago) and there was absolutely no difference on the
> dyno. Slightly altered sound on the revv, but no horsepower increase.
> The only way to improve this is not completely remove the stock airbox,
> bonnet and intake ducting for good. The bonnet and tubing are the
> culprits behind the stock intake restriction...
> Lance L. Martz
> LanceM@mcmullenargus.com

Lance,
I also had run a 4" air pipe directly into the stock air box
with a 6" funnel on the end of it on the left side of the
radiator (Cutting the rubber splash boot). Tube was
about 1 foot long straight into the air box. Anyway
I used the G-Tech meter before and after giving the
truck a couple of hours for the computer to adjust
before taking the measurements. The results I got
showed about a 17 HP increase with both the box
mods and the K&N. In hind sight I would of taken
the truck to the strip before and after to see if I
could notice any gain but it's to late iv already
destroyed my air box.

Mike Catlin