James....Update...

From: Lance Martz (LanceM@mcmullenargus.com)
Date: Tue May 12 1998 - 11:35:05 EDT

James,
For your information, I was not bragging. Someone on the DML asked what
was up with the truck and I simply told them. If you read more of the
posts, maybe you'd have seen the post I was referring to. I guess I'll
just return post to the one person that asked the question from now on
and other, over-egoed persons on the list (such as yourself) can suck
wind.
James wrote:
I don't think I would be bragging about a 79hp gain w/ a blower,
especially if you have to use premuim fuel and 104+. You can get more
HP gain from good flowing cylinder heads, cam, intake, and exhaust.
This would be with Maximum reliability & driveability and you wouldn't
have to worry about blowing head gaskets all of the time. BTY, I gained
over 130 Rear wheel HP when I added a blower to my '91 LX 5.0.
* James

>Updates....
>I just got back from a trip to the Colorado River with my Kota
to shoot
>Spring Splash '98. On the way there, I lost my second
driveshaft
>accordion boot/dust seal at about 90 mph. Sounded like the
truck had >J-brakes like a semi. This was the second one to let loose
as I said. >Has anyone else lost this piece? It explodes at 90 mph and
upwards. I >pulled the truck over at a rest stop and yanked the
leftovers. Then I >drove it at 100+ the rest of the way to the river
with no problems. In >the heat, the truck has to have a tank of premium
92 octane AND a can of >104 Octane Boost or it's just not a happy camper
under full boost. As >far as performance goes, the truck is now putting
out 275 horsepower >(196.1 before the blower) and 397 ft./lbs. torque
(253.4 before the >blower). This means 350 horse at the flywheel. (R/T
what?) These are >rear wheel figures on an above-ground DynoJet dyno
using a six-pound >pulley. It is typical to lose as much as 10 hp on an
above-ground dyno >due to vibration and altitude variance. The truck was
tested in Rancho >Cucamonga, California. The stock intake bonnet is
still being used and
>accounts for 15 horsepower in restriction. I've got to figure
out a new
>way to go.... >The truck is slated to go under the knife again
in a day or two for >about 2 weeks to pro street the rear suspension.
I'm not tubbing the >rear end, I've already got 11 inches of rubber on
each side at the rear.

>And that's the way it is...
>Later,
>Lance L. Martz
>LanceM@mcmullenargus.com
>Managing Editor, MiniTruckin' Magazine

NO BRAGGING, JUST A FEW PROBLEMS FROM THE TRIP, OR DIDN'T YOU UNDERSTAND
THE POSTING? I think the more correct way to admonish me on a 79
horsepower gain would be direct e-mail or to hold your tongue. The list
is suffering from individuals who spend their time criticizing. I've
noticed that Dodge owners are excited for everyone who owns a Dodge,
unlike Chevy owners who are always trying to belittle one another. How
many Chevy's are in your garage that you're hiding?
-Just Wondering....

Lance L. Martz