Re: Re: New Motors in Dakotas

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Wed May 13 1998 - 01:03:36 EDT

At 09:26 PM 5/12/98 -0400, you wrote:

> > Jon Steiger Wrote:
>> Although, if they actually are dropping the Magnum engines in '99, the
>> "base" Dakota will have what, 30hp more than the '98 R/T? Does anyone
>> know what the torque figure is for the new 275HP V8?
>>=20
>> Unfortunately, if the new engines are as intolerant of upgrades as=20
>> some have said they are, then they'll probably stay right around 275HP,=
=20
>> whereas the Magnum has a lot of potential...
>>=20
>> -Jon-
>

>Jon,
> I was under the impression that the new motor was=20
>a 4.7L that makes 230HP & 295 lb.-ft of torque. The=20
>275 High performance version of this motor would more
>than likely be put in the SST and R/T if they continue
>to make them. This new 4.7L motor is the same motor
>that is going into the 1999 Jeep Cherokee. Lower emissions
>higher compression 9.3:1 cast iron block and two cast=20
>aluminum cylinder heads. You can read all about it with
>this link just scroll down to 4.7-Liter V-8 Engine (Way=20
>down at the bottom).
>
>http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/detroit/99grandc.htm

  Mike, thanks for the info. You're right, it is 230HP. That actually
makes me feel a little bit better; my engine won't be quite as obsolete=20
as I originally thought. :-) =20
 =20
   I've included the engine info from that link at the bottom of this=20
message. Reading through it, I saw a couple of things that made me a=20
little wary of the new engine.

   One of them was the 2nd paragraph, the "For most customers" comment.
Most of the people on this list are not like "most customers". Drivability=
=20
usually takes a back seat to spine-crunching acceleration or off-road=20
prowess. :-)

  The second thing was in the same paragraph; more pulling power and
better gas mileage is cool, but "better initial acceleration"? Can=20
I infer from that statement that the older engine accellerates better
in the mid and top end? Doesn't sound like progress to me; just=20
another way to keep the EPA happy. (Of course, the EPA won't be=20
truly happy until we are all riding bicycles.)

   Yeah, I'm being paranoid and probably reading too much into this,
but they're messin' with our beloved Dak; I'm kinda nervous! :-)

=20
4.7-Liter V-8 Engine

Key objectives from the very beginning of design and engineering of the=
 overhead cam V-8 engine were improved performance, efficiency, smoothness,=
 durability and lower emissions. With roughly 10 percent less displacement=
 than the 5.2-liter V-8 from the previous Grand Cherokee, the engine has=
 five percent more power, seven percent better fuel economy and 30 percent=
 less emissions. The 4.7-liter engine complies with California's LEV (Low=
 Emission Vehicle) standards. =20

"For most customers, driveability =AD how smooth the engine responds under=
 all driving conditions =AD is the most important performance parameter,"=
 said Van Raaphorst. In combination with the new 45RFE transmission that was=
 specifically developed for this engine, the 4.7 V-8 has more pulling power,=
 faster initial acceleration and a three mile per gallon better highway fuel=
 economy than its predecessor." =20

The new engine has a cast iron block and two cast aluminum cylinder heads=
 with a single overhead camshaft per bank and two valves per cylinder. It=
 displaces 4701 cm3 (287 cu in.). A relatively small bore of 3.66 inches (93=
 mm) helped reduce overall length of the engine, packaging it for the=
 compact engine bay of the Grand Cherokee. The stroke is 3.4 inches (86.5=
 mm). =20

Featuring a new tuned-length runner intake manifold, free-flowing intake and=
 exhaust ports and fast-burn combustion chambers, the engine has optimum=
 "breathing" and combustion efficiency. Operating with a high 9.3:1=
 compression ratio, the engine still only requires regular-grade fuel, a=
 rare combination in its segment. =20

Lightweight material applications and more efficient engine accessories such=
 as the alternator, power steering pump and air conditioning compressor=
 further bolster vehicle performance and fuel economy. Aluminum cylinder=
 heads, a hollow camshaft with sintered steel lobes, magnesium valve covers=
 and a molded composite intake manifold contribute to an overall weight=
 reduction of 54 pounds (24 kg) compared to the previous 5.2-liter engine. =
=20

Driveability is enhanced by variable fuel injection timing, sequential=
 multi-port injection, a quick-sensing inlet-side positioned thermostat and=
 coil-on-plug ignition, in which each individual spark plug has its own=
 secondary ignition coil. =20

In order to improve fuel economy, the new engine features a patented hybrid=
 cooling fan system that combines in-line electric and engine-driven fans.=
 This system allows the engine fan to idle at a very low speed (250-300 rpm.=
 vs. the typical 650-700 rpm.), decreasing noise and vibration at idle and=
 low speeds. The newly designed cooling system, with a high efficiency water=
 pump and a secondary thermostat control, reduces power consumption by 12=
 percent (6 bhp/4.5 kW). =20

The new coil-on-plug ignition system, two-stage chain cam drive with=
 automatic tensioners, premium gaskets and cylinder head mounted fuel=
 injectors are a few of the basic design features that provide for a greatly=
 increased engine life. The engine is designed to operate 150,000 miles=
 (240,000 km) under normal conditions without part replacement other than=
 normal maintenance items. A new automatic serpentine belt tensioner=
 increases the average accessory belt life to 100,000 miles (160,000 km). =
=20

                                              -Jon-

  .--- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/=
 ---.
  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ, RP-SEL=
 |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT Club Cab, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 (#FF019) =

 =
   I do not speak for the SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.