Re: The latest tests

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Thu May 14 1998 - 14:44:30 EDT

At 09:18 AM 5/14/98 , you wrote:

>For those who think what's happening to the tobacco companies is OK (cause
>they're "bad guys"), be aware that the Lifestyle Nazis also have plans for
>your pickup truck, your SUV, your coffee, Coke, and caffeine sources, not to
>mention your cheeseburger. I don't smoke, but I know that if one legitimate
>product can be hounded and taxed into oblivion, (hey - it's an easy way to
>get billions into the federal treasury without raising "taxes"), then every
>legitimate product is at risk.

At the risk of starting another off topic thread here, there is, IMHO, a
flaw in your logic. Although I am hardly a fan of the Lifestyle Nazis (love
that term :) ), the tobacco companies secretly manipulated their product to
perpetuate addiction, covered up known dangers, targeted kids to keep a
steady flow of customers and then lied about everything to the American
people as well as to the government. I hardly think you can use the term
"legitimate" to describe either the industry or their product. Yes, we need
to keep a tight leash on the Lifestyle Nazis, but the tobacco companies
brought their problems on themselves. When Coke starts behaving the same
way, they deserve the same treatment.

Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong...... Private e-mail
discussion welcome.

--
Mike Crumley  mcrumley@airmail.net
97 Dakota  Regular Cab  Short Bed