Superchips cracks the SBEC was: speed limiter

From: Michael Clark (mike@snakebite.com)
Date: Fri May 15 1998 - 01:18:35 EDT

Jon Steiger wrote:
> I would be surprised if you manage to find anyone who can do this.
> Mopar is fairly picky about information like the programming in their
> PCM's becoming common knowledge. I suspect they're using code protected
> chips in the PCM.
> -Jon---'

I was meaning to post this the other day, but in the July '98 Mopar
Muscle it appears that Superchips has cracked the Mopar computer code!
They show how they can download and manipulate the fuel maps and
ignition curves of the computer. The SBEC they show must be a 94 or 95
module by looking at the truck (airbag wich is 94+ and the sbec is all
plastic unlike Jon's wich has a metal case) So I don't know about the
new OBDII ones. But anyway they show a picture of the SBEC opened up
where they removed the E-prom from the module board. The article says
that they can custom burn multiple chips for it (towing, high altitude,
blowers, cams whatever) and after reading it I get the impression that
they will just plug right in to your existing module (after some
modification). I think this might be a good way to relieve some of the
pinging in the MP SBEC, just have them up the fuel delivery a bit....

Anyway I can scan the article and put it up on the web if anyone wants
to take a look at it. (just don't tell Mopar Muscle)

--
---Mike, near Houston.---
 My sig file=====> http://web.wt.net/~mclark/signature.txt