Re: Bed liners

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Fri May 15 1998 - 09:51:34 EDT

> If you're looking to protect your bed, you'll want to stay away
> from plastic bedliners. I've got the Mopar bed liner in mine, and
> the damage it has done to the bed is disgusting. Its scraped the
> paint completely away everywhere it touches the truck.

  Proper prep for a spray-in includes sanding the bed down, exactly
as if you were prepping for a repaint. So you don't buy a spray-in
to protect the paint.

> I'll definitely never get
> a plastic liner again though. It has done MUCH more damage than my
> normal use of the bed would have done.

  You must not haul many heavy things in your bed, then. Plastic
drop-ins provide more structural protection against dents and incidental
contact than the spray-ins can. I have nary a dent in my '95 bed with
my Mopar drop-in, and plenty of bare metal spots where the drop-in
rubbed all the finish away. Personally, I prefer no dents. You
should have seen the bed in my old S-10...

  The best of all possible worlds would be a spray-in UNDERNEATH a
drop-in, but that would require more buckage than most people (including
myself) are willing to devote to bed protection.

  Ron