RE: Re; Gibson exhaust for a V6

From: Trevor Pontbriand (cadex_3@ids.net)
Date: Thu May 21 1998 - 08:33:43 EDT

>That'll be the only problem. The 3" exhaust on a V6 is just too big.
>A good portion of the low end torque would probably disappear. A single
>2.5" would be perfect for the 6.

Did you mean to say V8? The exhaust on a V6 is 2.5". At least it is on
mine. So if the V8's have 3" pipes, then that would definitely be a
problem. But like you said, I could just replace the muffler and keep the
stock pipe, an option I had not considered before. And there is still the
option of getting the dual, which might not be so bad. I imagine that just
replacing the muffler with the stock pipe would be quieter than going with
the dual? Of course, the Gibson pipes are very heavy gauge from what I
hear, probably a lot heavier than stock, so it might sound like crap. You
could have a custom shop bend you up a new pipe I suppose. But before I go
through all of that, nobody has presented a case for not getting the dual
anyway, except for:

>One other thing: Don't do the dual pipe. Stick with the single pipe
>system. Unless your truck has stacks with rain caps coming up behind
>the cab, you should stick with a single pipe.
>
>-Scott
>'97 Dak CC 4x4 Gibson 3" cat-back.

Which isn't really a "case", as much as personal bias. So are there any
good reasons not to consider the dual?

-Trevor
'98 Dakota Sport 4x4