Clarification: Don't Hack That Top Hose!

From: RAS002@worldnet.att.net
Date: Fri May 22 1998 - 22:55:19 EDT

>Hello DAKsters,
>
>I just discovered that there is an upper radiator hose that will allow
>proper clearance for a 14" open-element air cleaner. Check out NAPA
>hose #8677 designed to fit a '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 liter. I got
>one for $11.20. I haven't installed it yet, I'm still waiting on the
>(back-ordered) 180? thermostat.
>
> I did check the clearance over the A/C lines with a piece of 2x4, and
>there is no interference with the hood or hood pad.
>
> Later,
> Russ Selkirk

Sorry, I should have noted here that the vehicle in question is a '98
R/T. I checked for air cleaner clearance with a piece of 2x4 cut to 14"
with an indention for clearing the throttle body. I set this down
(vertically) on the top of the throttle body making sure it contacted
the mounting flange. I then rotated the 2x4 through a 360? arc, while
checking for any clearance problems. None were noted, so I ordered the
Mopar 14" air cleaner from Koller, and a K&N (to be safe) 2 1/4 x 14
element from Summit (along with the Crower 1.7 roller rocker kit).

  The Jeep radiator hose was strictly a "luck" thing. I saw a picture
of a Grand Cherokee in a Motor Trend truck mag with the hood open - the
hose looked right, so I got one at NAPA, took it out to the truck and
checked it for approximate fit. It sets over the two 1/2" steel A/C
lines, which I checked again with the 2x4 (laid on side). Closing the
hood never left any impression in the hood pad, so I feel safe in saying
there is enough clearance over these lines. An anti-vibration pad could
be made from plastic, rubber, etc. if you're worried about rubbing the
lines.

  None of my parts are in yet, I'll write back when I have installed and
tested them. Tony, I hope to see that 0.5 sec on my G-Tech!

                Later,

                        Russ Selkirk

--
NOTE:   Anti-Spam Address! Please