RE: Installed FABM, got a wicked sucking / whistling sound

From: Mike Muise (Mike.Muise@digital.com)
Date: Mon May 25 1998 - 17:55:38 EDT

><< I have the same thing!!! I have a K&N 14" on a Mr.Gasket chrome pan
><< set. I cannot isolate the whistle. I think it is where the breather
><< connection goes

I had the same idea, and tried covering this hole with duct tape. No
change. Also tried with the hose disconnected. I'm pretty sure it's
the sound of "the motor sucking air", as someone else mentioned.

I'd like to confirm this, though (maybe by running with _no_ filter?
That kinda scares me), and eliminate it if possible (since the original
setup didn't do that). Maybe some kind of plastic or rubber baffle
behind the filter might do the trick, though it would obviously cut
airflow, too.

> Make sure the air cleaner is level on the TB and not resting on
> the alternator brace. Some whistling type sounds are normal.

It's definitely on there firmly... it's only a 10", so there really
isn't anything for it to bump into. Any ideas on whether an new TB
might help? It's pricey, but I was planning one anyway, and this
would be a good excuse to expedite that mod. =)

cheers,
mike