Re: 380 crate motor swap

From: Dennis D. Baker, Jr (dbaker@deltech.net)
Date: Tue May 26 1998 - 01:18:39 EDT

At 06:27 PM 5/25/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Hey Jon....I think the 380 crate is a *great* way to go but there's the
>whole computer compatibility thing. It would definitely require a custom
>burned EEPROM to get that sucker to idle. Plus...you'd have to have the
>injector bosses drilled and get an adapter for the throttle body unless
>converting to a 4 holer. Best bang for the buck would be to have a B-Van
>or Ram motor from a wrecked truck rebuilt (I'm talkin' the shortblock
>here). Then get some mildly worked on heads, the SEFI M1 intake, that Comp
>Cams 5.9L grind and yer good to go.

I checked into the 380 create myself.. The delema is that the crate motor
is designed
for a 4barrel, NOT fuel injectors.. You'd have to either modify the intake
or scrap it
and install a fuel injected model so that it would even work with your
computer.

Personaly, I have checked and found that I can get a donor Ram 360 with the
computer,
harness, and COMPLETE engine for arount 1500.00 with about 45-50K average
miles.
For that money I can then afford to overhaul it myself at the same time add
a few
HP parts and get the whole thing going AND still more than very likely pass
any
inspection that may come up.

At first I thought that the crate motor would be a bargan, but if your used
running with a computer then your S.O.L.... That is...unless you don't have
any accessories in your ride and you don't mind ditching your guages (sense
they
to use the computer) and going back to a strickly "old fashioned" system.

I'm putting my money on the Junk yard... I'll be happy to share my exp.
with everyone
as soon as I get all my ducks in a row.

97' "Peunnie" 3.9DakCC 4x4 Rhyno lined bed, rocker panels, and door jams.
Color matched Raven Fiberglass Topper, Heavy duty everything.
Fog lamps, 6x9Folding Mirrors, Mopar Bug Shield and Bed Mat.
Shaved all Decals except for the 4X4 logo on tailgate. Replaced the
engine tag with a Magnum tag depicting NO cylinder count...(I'm embarassed
by my V6, what can I say?)
Have my web address in place of the Dogde logo on tailgate.
Check out my web site for more details. http://www.deltech.net/dbaker